Pearls have been considered the perfect jewellery gifts as far back as 2300 BC when they were gifted to and worn by Chinese royalty. They have continued to be considered the ultimate status symbol for centuries. Although they’re most commonly associated with a lustrous white, they come in a rainbow of shades. They are traditionally known to be symbol of pure beauty and are thought to help the wearer to achieve wisdom, peace and nobility.
Famous advocates of shimmering pearl jewellery are Coco Chanel, Audrey Hepburn and more recently, Sarah Jessica Parker and Michelle Obama who’s a huge fan of pearl necklaces and pearl earrings. Pearls are the birthstone for June babies. They’re also the traditional jewel for a 30th wedding anniversary.
Pearls are ‘magical’ jewels that are created underwater by molluscs such as oysters. They’re formed when an irritant like a piece of sand slips inside the shell and a fluid called ‘nacre’ covers the irritant. Over the years, this build-up of nacre forms a shimmering pearl. They can occur in freshwater to make Freshwater pearls, or in the sea like South Sea pearls. Then there’s Baroque pearls which have an irregular shape and finally we have Created pearls that are man-made to look like real pearls.
Different types of pearl jewellery include:
- Pearl necklaces. From a sophisticated single pearl strand to a stylish double pearl strand, pearl necklaces are iconic.
- Pearl pendants. All the same elegance of the pearl necklace but versatile enough to wear stacked with other necklaces.
- Pearl earrings maybe the chicest way to wear pearls? Try timeless pearl stud earrings or divine drop pearl earrings when you want to dress to impress.
- Pearl bracelets make the best gifts for a birthday, anniversary or a thank you!
- Pearl rings elevate every look. Choose a diamonds and pearl ring or this spectacular trilogy pearl ring for a real statement.
If you’re buying your first pearl jewellery you might wonder where to buy pearl jewellery online, but not compromising on quality. At Hoskings we have a carefully curated collection of pearl jewellery available for purchase online or in-store.
Buying from a reputable jeweller like Hoskings means you’ll be guaranteed quality and excellent follow-up customer service. View our range of pearl jewellery online here.
Our Darwin stores can source some beautiful pieces if you are looking for something truly unique.
Pearl jewellery has been revered for centuries. Everyone from Coco Channel to Harry Styles has looked fabulous in pearl jewellery. Trends may change, but these are still the most popular types of pearl jewellery:
- Pearl studs and pearl earrings. Create your own “Girl with a pearl earring” moment.
- Pearl bracelets. Perfect if you’re just dipping your toes into the world of pearl jewellery. Once you’ve worn these lustrous beauties, you’ll be hooked!
- Pearl necklaces. The ultimate status symbol for centuries and their popularity shows no sign of wavering. Wear at any age, with any outfit and at any event.
Buying pearls is one investment you’ll never regret as they’ll last for generations if cared for properly. So, what do you need to look for when buying pearl jewellery? Pearls naturally come in many colours, shapes and sizes. The value of a pearl is determined by its source, quality, and bright reflective lustre.
South Sea pearl jewellery is made with the most desirable cultured pearls due to their lustre, size and rarity. Created pearls are a wonderful way to enjoy pearl jewellery without worrying about maintaining their lustre over years.
Every jewellery collection needs pearls but how you style them is up to you. Whether you want classic pearl jewellery or a fresh take on the classic we have pearls fit for every purpose.
Although we commonly think of pearls being round, there are 7 different pearl shapes:
- Round pearls – Perfectly round blemish-free pearls are regarded the finest of pearls.
- Off-round pearls or potato pearls – These pearls are not completely spherical, but still absolutely gorgeous.
- Button pearls – Like round pearls but with an asymmetrical curve or two.
- Oval pearls – Oval shaped pearls are stunning in bracelets and pendants.
- Drop pearls – Drop pearls are egg-shaped with one pointed end.
- Baroque pearls – A beautiful organic shaped pearl.
- Mabe pearls – These pearls are flat on one side, perfect for mounting into a ring or earrings.
Pearls are delicate and need to be handled with care. Don’t wear them in harsh environments, like the gym or shower where they might be scratched or exposed to chemicals. Store pearls in a soft-cloth lined jewellery box, but not in an airtight environment to prevent drying out.
As always, we recommend you buy from a reputable jeweller with excellent customer service like your local Hoskings Jewellers.