The word jewellery was coined in the 1300s from the French word ‘juelrye’ which meant precious ornaments. Then, and now, the different types of jewellery that people wear are: earrings, necklaces, pendants, rings, bracelets, bangles, anklets, brooches, cufflinks, watches and more. Jewellery is often made with precious metals such as silver or gold and is sometimes decorated with gemstones.
Jewellery can be symbolic, for example engagement rings as a promise of commitment. Jewellery is also used to elevate a look and express your personality, or you can buy jewellery online as a gift for a loved one.
Most jewellery is made with a precious metal and might be decorated with gemstones. These are the metals most used jewellery is made with:
- Yellow gold jewellery. This precious metal is durable and naturally resistant to tarnishing.
- White gold jewellery. Plated with rhodium for extra shine and durability.
- Rose gold jewellery. A blend of metals to give a romantic rose colour.
- 9ct silver filled jewellery. For jewellery such as bangles that are filled with solid silver for extra strength.
- Gold bonded jewellery. Gold bonded jewellery is silver that’s been bonded with a sheet of 9ct gold.
- Gold plated jewellery. The look of gold without the price tag. Using a thin layer of gold over a base metal.
- Silver jewellery. With a hallmark of 925, sterling silver is made of 92.5% pure silver.
- Stainless steel jewellery. A durable metal with a more muted patina than gold.
- Tungsten jewellery. Hard, durable material that is scratch resistant and perfect to wear every day.
- Zirconium jewellery. Another strong and popular metal for everyday jewellery wear.
Great question. As with all online shopping, it’s best to start your online jewellery shopping with a jeweller that you know and trust. Hoskings Jewellers have been providing quality jewellery and excellent customer service since 1945. We take great pride in supplying our customers with all types of jewellery. From traditional jewellery to the latest fashion brands and the most stunning engagement rings and bridal jewellery. You can buy jewellery online and still be assured of an exceptional level of service that Hoskings is famous for!
Here are some Hoskings jewellery brands you’ll find online and in store:
Pandora (in store only)
Just as each one of us is unique, so is our taste for jewellery, so it’s tricky to say exactly what the most popular types of jewellery are. A 2019 French study* found that the most popular jewellery for women are rings. The most popular types of jewellery for men are necklaces. Women also love necklaces, including chains, necklets or pendants.
At Hoskings, our customers love these popular types of jewellery:
- Rings. From gold rings, silver rings and stainless steel rings to the most spectacular engagement rings, you’ll find a ring that you’ll love at Hoskings.
- Necklaces. Hoskings has a wonderful collection of chains, pendants, necklaces and necklets.
- Earrings. Look no further for an impressive range of earrings, in gold, rose gold or silver. Check out our diamond earrings, sapphire earrings, emerald earrings, and many more!
- Bracelets and bangles. Whether you prefer your bracelets in gold, silver or stainless steel, or covered in diamonds, choose your perfect bracelet or bangle here.
- We can’t talk about the most popular types of jewellery without mentioning watches. After all, they’re worn by almost everyone and are decorative as well as functional. You can browse our most popular watch brands here,
One of the most frequently asked questions about jewellery is “how to care for jewellery”. Here are 6 top tips to keep your jewellery looking fabulous!
- Choose durable metals and gemstones for everyday jewellery. Gold, zirconium, and tungsten are all hard-wearing metals. Diamonds are as robust as they are ravishing.
- Remove your jewellery in harsh environments, e.g. shower, bed, sauna, pool, beach and gym.
- Don’t expose jewellery to body lotions, perfumes, hairspray, cleaning products etc.
- Store your jewellery in a jewellery box with separations so that it doesn’t scratch and keep it in a dry environment and away from sunlight.
- Clean your jewellery with recommended jewellery cleaning products, or bring in to any Hoskings store for a professional clean.
- Make sure you choose a reputable retailer when you buy jewellery online.